Oh hey blog, long time no see! Today is my last day in Vancouver!!! What?! It has been ah-mah-zing. For reals. I have a bajillion photos to post and stories to tell when I get home, please get appropriately excited. To kick of this week of travel themed blogging, I'd like you to meet the fabulous Kelly of Enter Kelly. Last summer she and I had a fabulous blogger coffee date. Today she is sharing her fabulous city of Ottawa with you! Hooray! Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, throw in Montreal and Halifax and we're covering the major Canadian cities! Take it away Kelly...
Firstly thanks to Sydney for letting me guest-post! To keep in theme with her travels, I'm here to share some things to do around Ottawa. Let's see... Ottawa isn't exactly known for its stellar night-life scene, or its nice sandy beaches. Ottawa can be classified as a "boring" city to many, depending on where they come from and what they are used to. But to me, Ottawa is home and it has its charm just like any other city. You just have to know where to find it.
If you're visiting Ottawa, I would recommend doing the following:
1. The Rideau Canal. Okay, this suggestion might be overdone. But seriously, it kind of rocks. In the winter time, lace up those skates and skate the length (7.8 kms!). In the summer, grab a bixi bike and ride along side it!
2. Wander the Byward Market. If the weather is nice and it's summertime, wander the many vendor stands and shops downtown. You're guaranteed to find some neat pieces, a great cup of coffee and maybe a cupcake or two. Or some fudge. Come to think of it, I think I might need to wander down there myself...
3. Check out the festivals. So these don't happen all the time, but if you can time things perfectly we've got a festival for just about everything. Greek Fest, Rib Fest, Italian Fest, we have them all. And it's so great to go out, people watch, and get your eat on. Like this pulled pork sandwich I enjoyed that one Rib Fest...
4. Visit our museums. We've got the War Museum, Museum of Science and Tech, the Museum of Nature, National Gallery of Canada, etc. My absolute favourite is the Museum of Civilization just over on the Gatineau side. Takes you back in time and teaches you about how we came to be here, in Canada, and what we went through to become todays civilization.
5. Parliament buildings. Well, it's not the most exciting thing in the world, but hey. Take a tour. See where our politicians work their "magic". It's the only one in Canada!
Thanks Kelly! See you folks real soon!